New Facsimiles of the Chester Beatty New Testament Papyri

I had heard rumors a few years ago that a new facsimile edition of the Beatty Biblical Papyri was in the works. It looks like the New Testament papyri have now appeared courtesy of Hendrickson. This is exciting. The volumes look very nice, judging from the photos on the website. They use the images taken a few years ago by the Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts. The price, however, is a little disappointing, given that high-quality facsimile editions of manuscripts are now frequently being produced at more reasonable prices.

This entry was posted in Chester Beatty Papyri, Codices. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to New Facsimiles of the Chester Beatty New Testament Papyri

1. Schick.Sylt@gmx.de says:

Look here

Best Alex

2. Didymus says:

Agree, I was ready and excited, but when I saw the steep price, I had to step back. Thank you for sharing.

3. Tim Skorick says:

That looks beautiful! I wish the Bodmer papyri could get this treatment also …

• A new facsimile of P.Bodmer 14-15 (P75) was said to be in the works a few years ago–Timothy Janz, “Per una edizione facsimilare del Papiro Bodmer XIV–XV,” in Studi in onore del cardinale Raffaele Farina, ed. A. M. Piazzoni, 2 vols., StT 477–478 (Vatican City: Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, 2013), 1:583–94. I’m not sure what the status of that project is.

4. Pingback: New Facsimiles of the Chester Beatty New Testament Papyri | Talmidimblogging

5. Jill Unkel says:

High resolution images are downloadable (for free) on the Chester Beatty’s Digital Collections website

PDFs of the Kenyon catalogues are also found on the Downloads section of the museum’s website

Hope this helps.

• S Walch says:

Thank you very much for this link – had no idea there were some non-identified fragments of P45 still around! Think I’ve just identified two of the fragments on https://cbl01.intranda.com/viewer/object/BP_I_i/1/LOG_0000/ .

• Matthew Hamilton says:

Are you able to advise which fragments, and the text identified?
        Years ago I noticed one side of a fragment of Deuteronomy (papyrus VI folio 105 fragment 2 recto) had not been published by Kenyon so it does not surprise me that there may be more identifications to CBBP to be made.